Friday, September 30, 2011

A New Project

A few days ago, Simon announced that in 2012 he was going to try to read a book published in ever year of the twentieth century. As soon as I read that, I knew I wanted to read through the twentieth century too!

I also knew, however, that I would need more than a year to try to finish the project. A hundred books is a lot of reading, and it is also about how many books I've read each year for the last few years; I can't see myself reading ONLY books for the project, so I'm going to go ahead and plan for some contingencies that will give me some freedom within the confines of the project.

I am going to start working on the project now; I hope that the extra three months will mean that I will be finished with the project by the end of 2012. I'm going to try to keep my reading for the project more on the classical side of things, and I'm going to try to include as many books that I already own as I can. I'm looking forward to reading Virginia Woolf, Iris Murdoch, and E.M. Forster for the first time!

I'll be making a project page to keep track of what I read, and I hope to review each book that I read for the project. If you have suggestions of things I MUST read, please share!

6 comments:

Angiegirl said...

What an excellent idea. I love it! And I'm excited you get to read Woolf for the first time. I'm not sure which to recommend as I love most of them. MRS. DALLOWAY? TO THE LIGHTHOUSE? A ROOM OF ONE'S OWN? All good. :)

Anonymous said...

good luck ,wiki are good at books from years I find ,sounds like a great challenge ,all the best stu

Read the Book said...

Thanks so much! And Angie, I think Blogger ate your comment, but I would love your thoughts on where to start with Woolf!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your project! It looks like you are off to a good start with your list. You reminded me that I should add a couple of Annie Dillard titles to my project list. :)

JaneGS said...

Interesting challenge--just creating the list sounds like fun!

Read the Book said...

Jane, the list HAS been fun! And everybookandcranny, you should definitely include some Dillard. If you haven't read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, you should definitely read that!