Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Linger, or Why Did I Start Reading This Series Now?

Lingering
Photo credit

Well, friends, the temptation to compulsively consume Linger, the sequel to Shiver, proved too much this past weekend, so I did something that I rarely do: I went to Barnes and Noble and read the entire thing there.

Now, before you get upset, let me assure you that I do understand the difference between a bookstore and a library (I can even tell you about the difference in two languages!), and I do know that bookstores need to make a profit (does it make you feel better to know that I bought ridiculously large coffees while there?), and I do plan on buying the entire series when it is out in paperback and (more importantly) when I have a teaching job.

Let's just say that this inability to overcome my scruples about reading an entire book in a bookstore is evidence that Maggie Stiefvater did an excellent job continuing her good work from Shiver. There were many unexpected twists (least of all the ending: how, I ask you, how am I supposed to wait another year to find out what happens to Grace and Sam?) and lots of poetry and music. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Shiver, but I think that's mainly because there was a side story that I didn't care about too much because I just wanted to KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH GRACE AND SAM FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!

Did I already mention that reading this book was a bit compulsive?

Anyway, I liked the book a lot. I know this wasn't a great, coherent review, but I don't want to give anything away to people who want to read the series. If you like Young Adult Literature, or you just want to assure yourself that Twilight does not signal the downfall of mankind, then you should really read this series.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I think I might check this out. I actually just resigned from my teaching position (gasp), but I grew to like [good!] YA lit while I was in the classroom. If you haven't already, please check out anything by John Green and/or Markus Zusak. I rarely get into authors (I bounce around so much from book to book and genre to genre), but I've read everything by Green except his latest collab with David Levithan, and everything I could bookmooch by Zusak (admittedly, I could only get The Book Thief and I Am the Messenger). Both offer excellent stories with well developed, believable characters. You'll be in for a treat, I promise.

-Catherine (30daystofixmylife.com)

Read the Book said...

Thanks, Catherine! I have the Book Thief, and John Green has always intrigued me, so they are now definitely higher on the priority list!